Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Chicken Fajitas and Spanish Rice

Wednesdays are usually my favorite day of the week! 
Not exactly sure when Wednesdays were noted as my 
favorite but it always seems that good things happen on 
Wednesdays and its also garbage day and don't you 
just feel like all renewed after garbage day? lol! Well tonight 
was not one of my favorites it was quite chaotic actually...after 
a day of cleaning and I pick up my 5 year old Jayden from 
school and within a half hour of being home he does this: 


100 piece puzzle everywhere! Then my 3 year old 
son Ian yells out his newly favorite "bad word da**it" really
 loud. Off to time out they went in their rooms. As I started
 to make dinner and trying to get ahold of my heart strings 
listening to the cries behind their closed doors...my 
"creation station"  aka the kitchen started to look like this:


yes... chaos. What you also don't see in this picture
is the bulk of yellow onions purchased from
Costco that went rolling all over my kitchen floor and my 
little "Princess" ran over to see what fun and grab the onion skins 
and began to rip them all over the place as I was trying to pick
 them all up


yes,,,she went on time out too. I was trying to sip on my 
cup of tea while cooking to "remain calm" and I found this in 
my spice cabinet:


the thought did go through my mind if it might go 
"with tea" =D
Ok anyhoo....let's tie the Apron strings and get started 
with the recipe on :

Spanish Rice
1 cup onion, chopped (1 large)
1 cup green bell pepper, chopped (1 Large)
3 cloves garlic, smashed
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon paprika
2 1/2 teaspoons chili powder 
4 tablespoon no salt ketchup
3 1/2 cups cooked white rice (better cold leftover rice =D)
2 cups no salt tomato sauce
2 cups no salt stewed tomatoes
1 cup of Chicken broth (I use organic from Costco)
1 cup of salsa 

First heat up some oil in your pan and fry the garlic for a minute or two and then add the onions...cook the onions for a good five minutes until they become clear. Then add the rice and other ingredients to 4 quart sauce pan. Cover and simmer on low heat 40 minutes.
The slow cooking allows the flavor to blend and green pepper and onion to become tender

Chicken Fajitas

The Marinade
1 bottle Zesty Italian Dressing
1 tbsp Worcestershire
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp cilantro
Chicken cut into strips. Marinate for at least 4 hours. 8 hours or overnight is best.
1 Yellow Onion, cut in 1/4 inch strips

1 Green Pepper, cut in 1/4 inch strips
1 Red Pepper, cut in 1/4 inch strips
1 Yellow pepper, cut in 1/4 inch strips

The Extras
Whole wheat tortillas
Sour Cream
Avocados
Mexican-style shredded cheese
Salsa 
Directions:
Combine the chicken/marinade with the pepper and onions and mix well
Cook the mix together on the grill in a grill basket or wrapped in foil. If grilling's not an
 option (or it's cold out), you can cook it inside in a large skillet. 




No comments:

Post a Comment