Monday, January 2, 2012

Filipino Lumpia Shanghai



These are such a special TREAT as an appetizer or side dish to any Filipino meal. I love them! Many Filipinos will make up a mass bunch of these on New Year's Eve and then freeze them.They will have to be wrapped tight so I use my vacuum food sealer. 

 Makes about 30 lumpia

1 lb. (or 500g) ground minced pork (if you do not eat pork, this is so tasty also using ground minced chicken)
1 cup chopped shrimp (I left it out this time to cut down on cholesterol)

3 cloves of garlic, minced
60g minced cabbage (I used my food processor for this)
2 spring onions chopped finely
1/4 cup finely chopped onions
1/2 cup shredded carrots
1/2 cup of finely chopped water chestnuts
2 whole eggs (1 extra egg for sealing wraps)
3 tbsp. soy sauce (I use low sodium)
3 dashes of sesame oil
1 tsp pepper
approx 30 lumpia wrappers
vegetable oil, for frying 

In a bowl, combine all ingredients. Mix until well blended.


Grab one of the lumpia wrappers and place it down on a cutting board 

The Lumpia wrappers I found in my local supermarket. They are also sold at Asian supermarkets. Here is what they look like:



 I get another whole egg and put it in a little bowl and whisk it and then you will need a pastry brush. Scoop up a good 3 tablespoons of the mixture laying it diagonally on the wrapper. Grab the corner nearest to the filling and fold it over the filling. Keep rolling and make sure you are rolling them tightly.  When you reach the end, use  your pastry brush and dip in bowl of egg and then run along the end of the wrap to seal the edge and then wrap it to create your roll. If freezing them for later to cook, use Saran Wrap or any plastic wrap to wrap each roll as you do the rest of the rolls if you do not have a vacuum food sealer. This is to keep the moisture in the roll. Then put in a gallon size zip lock baggie.


After you are done with rolling all the wrappers, which does take time lol! Then I slice them in half...like this:



We are now ready to fry them =D I used this deep fryer which I really recommend. It works great! I heated it up to about 355 degrees and was able to fry about 6 lumpia wraps at a time. It took about 6 minutes of frying to make them golden brown.


 Drain on paper towels. Transfer to a serving platter. Serve with a Sweet and Sour Sauce or a sweet chili sauce is my favorite =D

No comments:

Post a Comment